The Number One Rule of Social Media (and life)

"Let us try to teach generosity and altruism, because we are born selfish." ~ Richard Dawkins

As I mentioned in a previous post, agents and editors want writers to have an established platform when pitching a book. I've spent the past month consulting experts and reading books and blog articles on the topic while I try a few techniques. For example, I tackled Twitter with some success even though I'm a major introvert. I'm growing my social media following, blogging more often, and gathering additional subscribers to my email list for Write Now Newsletter.

No matter which book I pick up, which expert I talk to, which blog I read, the bottom line comes back to one thing: Generosity. If I'm not offering my followers and readers valuable information, I'm doing both of us a disservice.

Learning this reminded me of a saying I heard years ago. "You have to give it away to keep it." Seems like a paradox, eh? But in yet another area of my life, it's proving true.

The books and blogs and experts talk about "noise to signal ratio." If there's too much "noise" (Buy! Buy! Buy!) and not enough "signal" (Here's a helpful thing.) people will turn and run. If I follow someone or subscribe to their blog and all they do is pitch their wares, I won't hang around.

Why would I expect this to be any different when the tables are turned?

To address this, my current experiment is to share 99% useful or humorous (laughter is also a gift) information. I offer techniques I've found helpful, answer questions, and (of course) share cute animal photos. Cue #Scarlet the #ninetyninepercentgooddog. Use her hashtag on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts!

The remaining 1% of my platform is sales pitch material. This might be a link to my newsletter, a request to follow this blog, or an announcement of a class I'm teaching. It's just a fraction because, when people think of me, I want them to see me as helpful and entertaining rather than as someone chasing after their wallets.

The unintended consequence of trying to be "of service," is that I no longer dread "marketing." More than once, when I've been sad or in crisis, a mentor has advised me to reach out to help someone else (unless I'm in a deep deep depression for which I need medical intervention). Invariably, just as in the rest of my life, if I can be useful when promoting my business, I feel better too.

What is your experience with being generous in business? I'd love to hear about it!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,