When In Doubt, Consult the Literature and Ask (someone younger) for Help

Platform. Platform. Platform.


It is not news that editors and agents want a writer to have a following. And it shouldn't be news that they expect that writer to have those potential readers in place BEFORE the book is published. But I'm often late to the party.

Oh, I've had a platform for years. I've been publishing Write Now Newsletter, my monthly writing email, since 2003. I've been writing this blog for nearly that long. You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and LinkedIn. But in the current market, publishers favor authors who have a platform ON STEROIDS!

When I received a reminder of this truth, I did what I always do. I went to the library. The stack of books in the photo is just the beginning of my research. And, honestly, I already know much of what they are suggesting.

I also asked my friends, especially the younger ones, for advice. Last night, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to post something on Instagram. A friend sent this helpful photo:


Literally, I just didn't know what button to push!

But once I've figured out the mechanics of these sites, there are bigger challenges. Yes I had a presence on these platforms, but I wasn't engaging on social media often enough and I wasn't doing it the most effective way. I'm still reading and consulting friends, but as I make changes, my numbers are climbing.

Stay tuned. Give me a few more weeks and I'll write about what I've learned.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,