Twitter for Introverts

In a previous post, I explained how agents and editors expect authors to have a social media presence before pitching a book. I did not mention how daunting I found this fact. It's similar to how naked I felt when I first began pitching a book to agents and how it has continued to feel pitching the book to publishers and submitting to contests as well.

You see, I'm an "off-the-scale" introvert. It's no surprise that every time I take the Myers-Briggs personality inventory whether it is a short version on the internet or the very very long version administered by a psychology professional, my "introversion" score is nearly as high as the scale goes. Putting myself out there is truly a stretch.

Add to that recurrent chronic depression and you have a roadblock many might not overcome. I can only do this social media stuff if I find a method that works with my natural talents.

My Facebook author page hadn't seemed that much of a stretch from my personal Facebook page so I linked it to Twitter. When I posted to Facebook, it automatically tweeted the same thing.

But the books I read about Twitter explained that this wasn't enough. I needed to interact. To my introverted self, this sounded as terrifying as walking into a cocktail party and shouting, "Look at me!" That was not going to happen.

On a four-mile run, I began to think about how I best communicate: one on one. I wondered what would happen if I just began talking to individuals the way I might in the rest of my world.

So I started responding any time someone tweeted something that resonated with me. For a few days, my tweets went unanswered. A few days later, one or two people replied.

Then, something remarkable happened. One of my running heroes, Hal Higdon, retweeted one of my replies to his tweet!















A few days later, it happened again!




















My one-one-one approach not only allowed me to play along with the extroverts who love Twitter, but also effectively increased my social media exposure. I learned that even off-the-scale introverts can Tweet!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,