Rethinking the Purpose of a Title

When I first began blogging in April of 2006, I thought of each title the way a poet might. The title didn't so much introduce the "poem" (blog article) as enhance it. It was its own "line" in the poem.

I was idealistic and much younger then. I was still in MFA school.

And, I hadn't read this stack of books on using social media effectively.

In the age of Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Facebook business pages, a title must do more than entertain. A title must make a promise. The article must fulfill it.

With overburdened schedules and a flood of information, readers scan titles for the helpful or entertaining. It is the age of the micro-blog, the mini-article, the itsy bitsy essay. If the title doesn't catch a reader's attention, it is lost.

You've probably already noticed a change here. What I might have previously titled, "The Farmer" became "Good? Bad? How Can You Tell?" and what I contemplated calling, "The Introvert's Dilemma" was posted as "Twitter for Introverts." These are still creative, I hope, but more informative. They promise information.

Don't worry. I'll still post photos of #Scarlet the #ninetyninepercentgooddog with silly titles.


Those promise to entertain!

And now I shall go enter "Effective Blog Titles" into the google machine and see if the experts agree.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,