What Writers Eat at Sunset

I'll use any excuse for another installment of "What Writers Eat."

The good folks at Mango, my publisher, (I still love the way that sounds - "My publisher") need an author photo for my upcoming book, Depression Hates a Moving Target. I rarely like how I look in photos and I'm extra fussy about this particular snap, so today I visited a third photographer.

Since I only wear "full kabuki" makeup or grown-up clothes under duress, and the #onehundredpercentgoodhusband and I hadn't made dinner plans, I suggested dining out.

Ed already had VASO on his new-restaurant radar so we braved the Dublin death-trap roundabout and took the fourth floor elevator to the roof of the AC Hotel for tapas and a panoramic view to the west and north overlooking downtown Dublin.


We shared res y champinones rostisados (flat iron steak with mushrooms and crispy onions, gambas al ajillo (tiger shrimp, garlic, pimentón oil, and pickled peppers), and judias verdes (green beans with garlic and almonds).


Lava cake sounded tempting, but the tapas were plenty.

All day, the skies had been a typical February-in-Ohio gray, but as the sun began to set, enough clouds cleared to provide a pretty sunset view.


It was just the two of us, and we don't drink, so the bill was well below the $100 minimum for one of the heated "igloos" on the patio. I added that to my bucket list. I'm sure we can find adventuresome friends to join us for another sunset view.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,