The Power of Lists

You've heard of the "to do" list, but what about the "to write" list? It's a powerful tool in my writing kit.

Sitting in the classroom at Mabel Dodge Luhan House in Taos, New Mexico, I watched as best-selling author Natalie Goldberg picked up her cheap spiral notebook, flipped to the back, and showed us a list of scrawled topics she'd penned on that last page. She said she carried a notebook everywhere and jotted ideas on the back page of the notebook as they occurred to her. "If I'm stuck, I look at these," she said.

She'd mentioned this list in one of her books, most likely Writing Down the Bones, but to see the real thing left quite an impression. I began to do the same and still carry a notebook at all times.

We also did list-making exercises in the many workshops I took from her. The topics varied, but here are a few of my favorites:

~ The things I carry (a spin-off from The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien).
~ Make a list of everyone you've ever met
~ Write the names of every place you've been
~ Name your pets
~ Tell me every car you've ever owned and what happened to it
~ Write down everywhere you have lived
~ List all your loves
~ Tell me everything you know about the color blue

When I write a list, sometimes I'll fill the entire writing practice with listed, but more often, as I made the list, something would occur to me and I'd soon be writing an essay instead.

Do you use writing lists? I'd love to hear if they work for you!



Labels: , , , , , , , ,