Theme Songs

My latest secret weapon is music. When I get to the coffeehouse and I'm all settled in, laptop on, edit pages out, ready to rock and roll, I put on my headphones and point my mouse to the instrumentals from Firedance that I downloaded onto my computer from a CD.

Firedance has a strong drum line, a punchy Celtic rhythm, and the tempo increases incrementally throughout some of the songs. As soon as I hear the first few chords, my feet are tapping and my fingers begin to dance on the keyboard. I also have several CD's of Bach Adagios and some Beethoven to turn to when I want a different pace.

A friend told me about this technique several years ago, but it didn't make sense at the time. I thought I needed silence. Now, when I point media player to Firedance, my writing juices begin to flow!

What's your theme song?