O-H-I-O

“There’s two things that you don’t listen to: flattery, which can’t help you, and abuse, which can’t hurt you. You have to look at the facts.” - Jim Tressel

Happy 2010! We write hard. We play hard. No essay this month. To learn why, read “The Paranoid Ex-Lawyer’s Release” which you can find at http://www.nitasweeney.com/newsletter/the-fine-print/.

For your convenience, here’s what it says:

PARANOID EX-LAWYER’S RELEASE: This month there was the matter of that little football game in Pasadena. In those moments of Buckeye insanity immediately following the Ohio State/Iowa game, my sister, Amy, and I decided we must go to the Rose Bowl. (Mid-December she whined that I was dragging her there, but now she’s thanking me.) A few weeks after Iowa, my brother scored tickets too. We’re all three Ohio State alums. December became a haze of washing Buckeye garb, buying Buckeye paraphernalia, and figuring out which suitcase was large enough to carry all the Buckeye garb and paraphernalia. On December 30th, we hauled that luggage to our 15th floor hotel room and looked out upon a spectacular view of the city. Then, I glanced down to the parking area. TBDBITL and the OSU cheerleaders were climbing out of their white buses. We were staying in the same hotel!

No matter where we went in LA (and we did a bit of driving on those wacky freeways), if my sister yelled “O-H!” (which she is prone to do at random intervals) someone responded, “I-O!” For a few days LA glowed scarlet and gray. Santa Monica Pier? Scarlet and gray. Universal City? Scarlet and gray. Disneyland? Scarlet and gray. Rose Parade? Scarlet and gray. The game? Well. Having been to both the USC and Iowa games, I didn’t believe we’d won until the clock read 0:59. But our football team turned the Rose Bowl scarlet and gray too! GO BUCKS!

Labels: , , , , , ,